The board had two gentle hills on each side, some woods, a crossroads, and a steep hill near the Roman camp. (Click pictures to embiggen)
|After my bound. Amazingly, I didn't roll a '1'.|
|Shot from the Goodyear blimp|
My Kn moved up to just outside Art firing range in column then took the plunge and ran in. In hindsight I should have been in a 2x2 formation, that way he could only recoil one of the two halves of it. On the way in I used the Ps in the woods to block his Art shooting at my Kn. My Ps in the other woods were chased out by his Ax, and the other one crossed over in front of my Wb to threaten the flank of his Art. In response, he kept bringing his Bd up to protect the flank of his Art and raced his mounted units around the rear to try to get to my Kn.
I thought I had plenty of time to get my Kn into him but then I rolled three consecutive '1's for pips. Grrr.
|Gepids 1 - Romans 0|
|Gepids 1 - Romans 1|
|Gepids 1 - Romans 2|
|Gepids 2 - Romans 2|
|Gepids 2 - Romans 4|
The CvG, Cv and Bd on the left had charged my Kn, KnG and Ps. Unexpectedly, the Ps caused the Bd to recoil. Then my Kn caused his CvG to recoil. The game was now unwinnable for me but I could still kill his Cv to make it 4-3 and salvage some honour. He was double overlapped and I had my KnG versus his Cv so it was 5 to 1. But the dice showed 2 and 6 giving us a stick. Aaaaargh!!!
- It was a great game. Lots of tension, lots of drama. Very uncertain outcome.
- Gepids are an enjoyable army to play. Reasonably mobile and quite dangerous. I'm getting the hang of Ps now. Having 4 of them is great.
- The Art and Bw didn't achieve much. Part of it was bad luck with the dice, but I would have fielded them together. That way you could run the Bw out in front of the Kn to try to kill them once they closed with the Art.
- Perhaps I should have targetted his Bd and Ax with my Kn. But doing that would have meant that the Wb couldn't use the road so I would have either have had to leave them behind or hand over the strategic advantage while I brought them up.
- I think I may have forgotten to follow-up a few times when I recoiled the Ax and when his Cv broke off contact, but if I had I would have been in even worse trouble so let's just pretend we saw nothing...
- DBA is fun.