My opponent took a Frankish list with:
WbG, 7xWb, 2xBw, Ps
I took a Late Imperial Roman West army so that I could use my newly painted Foederati knights and skirmishers along with my Romans. My list was:
CvG, Cv, 2xLH, Kn, 2xBd, 3xAx, 2xPs
As I got to be the defender I set up a largely open board with just the one lot of bad going - a woods bisected by a road and some gentle hills. The Franks chose to have the edge with the woods in their deployment zone and put their camp behind it. I set up in a single long line. The Franks set up in three groups with their archers on my left facing my Cv and Kn, so I swapped my Cv and Kn to my right side in exchange for 2xBd.
(Click pictures to embiggen)
|Kamikaze Psiloi: Romans 0 - Franks 1|
|Romans being Romans, barbarians being barbarians|
|We have strategery on tap|
|One chance in 36. Romans 0 - Franks 2|
|Romans 1 - Franks 2|
|A rush of blood to the head|
|A rush of blood to the neck. Romans 2G - Franks 3G|
- My kamikaze Psiloi move lost me the game. If I hadn't been 1 unit down already, the game would have been tied up at 2G-2G each and we would have continued. Plus I would have had some Ps backup for my Ax, leading them to kill those pesky Bw. I really don't what I was thinking...
- Speaking of Ps, what was I thinking?? My other Ps just sat there all game, forgotten and lonely. I could have moved through the Bd and given support to my Ax.
- I should have been more aggressive with my Bd. I've had some bad experiences in the past with my Bd being killed by Wb but the odds are with the Bd especially when I would have had the overlap on the left if I'd cared to take it.
- Finally a game where I didn't recklessly waste my LH. I was very unlucky with them and my Kn, first to recoil from a flanking 3-1 combat, then to lose my Kn to a 3-2 combat. Dem's da breaks!
- It was a really fun game with both sides fighting in what I think were historically appropriate ways.